St. Paul's United Church of Christ traces its growth back to humble beginnings. In 1875 nineteen people people gathered in a brick schoolhouse on Mill Street. After five years of Bible studies and prayerful worship, the congregation officially organized in 1880. It was only then, in fact, that the first sermon was preached, on January 19, 1880, by the Rev. J. W. Steinmetz.
Shortly afterwards, the congregation decided it was time to have a permanent place to worship and to invite others into relationship with God. In 1881 a simple church was built on the corner of Washington and West First Streets in Birdsboro. This original building still serves as the foundation of the current church in which we now worship.
In 1912, the church became part of the Schwartzwald charge, so that a consistent part-time pastorate could be established. It didn't take the church long to realize that they shared a message that resonated with others. Their ministries and their church grew as many were drawn to this special community. Though not rich in finances, they were rich in labors of love. Using their ingenuity, and trusting in the groundwork set by their parents, the congregation hand-dug the fellowship hall foundation that now rests below the sanctuary.
With continued growth and a passion for Christian education, an educational wing was added to the church in the 1940s. No longer were Sunday School classes held in different sections of the sanctuary, where youth and adults competed to be heard.
The 1950s brought the most significant changes to the congregation. For the first time in St. Paul's history, the congregation called a full-time pastor, the Rev. Thomas B. Adams, on June 10, 1956. The following yeary, the United Church of Christ was formed. St. Paul's became part of this dynamic, young denomination, which has roots as far back as the Reformation.
In the 1990s it became clear, once again, that St. Paul's was called to new heights. With a continued passion for Christian Education, plus a youth program that was bulging at the seams, the church decided to construct its Christian Education Building. This structure was built not only with a desire to meet the church's needs, but those of the community as well. Throughout the week, both youth and adult community groups make use of these facilities.
In the 21st century, St. Paul's continues its traditions, remaining dedicated to teaching and to living in service, both to the community of Birdsboro and to our wider world. It is God who calls us and leads us each day.